I’m doing it. I’m jumping on the pumpkin trend with this healthy Paleo pumpkin pie recipe. Rather than be yet another person complaining about ALL the pumpkin-flavored fall treats, I’d rather embrace it – and share with you a healthy recipe for Paleo-friendly (gluten, sugar and dairy-free) Pumpkin Pie.
I got the idea flipping through a magazine in a grocery store checkout line. The pumpkin pie on the cover just looked so damn good. “I should do healthy pumpkin pie recipe blog post” I thought.
So here it is!
Truth is, it’s been about 6-7 years since I last made a homemade, healthy pie crust – so I checked out the internet for some tips and ideas. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I used this proven Paleo Pie Crust from New York Times best-seller Elana’s Pantry.
For The Crust: (From Elana’s Pantry)
- 2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1 Large Egg (free-range & organic!)
- 2 TBSP Coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp Seal Salt
For The Filling: (Swapped healthy ingredients in place of the not-so-healthy ones)
- 1 3/4 Cups Organic Pumpkin
- 1tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 Whole Eggs (free-range & organic!)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 C Xylitol
- 1 TBSP Upgraded CollaGelatin (adds protein & helps set/thicken filling)
- Pecans &/or Walnuts for garnish/topping
To Make the pie crust:
- Pulse flour & salt in food processor
- 2. Add coconut oil & egg – mix into a ball
- 3. Spread into 9″ Pie Pan
- 4. Bake 8-12 minutes at 350
For The Filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a mixer, blend all ingredients (except nuts) until smooth.
- Spread filling mixture into pie crust – making sure to leave about 1/2″ space from top of filling to top of crust
- Bake for 45-60 minutes making sure the center is set.
- Remove, cool and add topping of choice. (Walnuts, pecans, ginger, coconut flakes, etc)
This is an Original Recipe, adapted from: Elana’s Pantry & Virginia Sportsman