Increasing strength and boosting brain power with Dr. Birk.
From physical movement to mental performance, the Central Nervous System governs everything we do. On today’s episode of the OPP, Dr. Ruminder Birk explains how we can optimize physical, mental, and emotional performance by “biohacking” our nervous system.
Owner of Atlantis Chiropractic, Dr. Birk has an intimate knowledge of the nervous system and he brings his holistic, wellness based approach to the show as we discuss:
- How the Central Nervous System is first to develop
- Neural pathways controls movement and cognition
- The Windsor Autopsy Studies – failed attempts to dispel chiropractic claims that spine health impacts organ function
- What the research says about chiropractic adjustments increasing physical performance (6-16% boost from single adjustment)
- Old school Strongman secrets to increase neural drive for increased strength
- How low-level laser therapy, vibration plates, inversion and other biohacks can help us optimize nervous system function
- How chronic sympathetic activation (aka, stress) impacts hormones, sleep, energy, organs and what you can do about it
- Why “firefighters put out fires – but don’t build houses”
- Biohacking and optimizing neurotransmitters for optimal mental performance
Links and Resources
Atlantis Chiropractic on Facebook
Dr. Birk’s book: Back To Life
Studies Mentioned on the show:
Chiropractic and Immune System Function:
From Dr. Birk’s team: “Chiropractic adjustments have been shown to boost the coordinated responses of the nervous system and immune system.
One of the most important studies showing the positive effect chiropractic care can have on the immune system and general health was performed by Ronald Pero, Ph.D., chief of cancer prevention research at New York’s Preventive Medicine Institute and professor of medicine at New York University.
Dr. Pero measured the immune systems of people under chiropractic care as compared to those in the general population and those with cancer and other serious diseases.
In his initial three-year study of 107 individuals who had been under chiropractic care for five years or more, the chiropractic patients were found to have a 200% greater immune competence than people who had not received chiropractic care, and 400% greater immune competence than people with cancer and other serious diseases.
The immune system superiority of those under chiropractic care did not diminish with age. Dr. Pero stated:
When applied in a clinical framework, I have never seen a group other than this chiropractic group to experience a 200% increase over the normal patients. This is why it is so dramatically important. We have never seen such a positive improvement in a group…
– Pero R. “Medical Researcher Excited By CBSRF Project Results.” The Chiropractic Journal, August 1989″
AMA vs. Chiropractic Anti-Trust suit from 1980’s: “AMA had entered into a long history of illegal behavior”. Did NOT endorse Chiropractic, saying there is ”not scientific evidence to call it valid medicine” but it did condemn the AMA for attacking it.
In the interest of transparency, I did find this review concluding that “there is no evidence to support direct sports performance improvement from chiropractic adjustment”