Josh Mantz died in 2007.
15 minutes later, through life-saving CPR, defibrillations, and injections of adrenaline, medics were able to regain a pulse a save give Josh a second life.
Since then Josh has been a relentless advocate for his military brethren – and non military trauma survivors – in the quest to reduce the stigma of asking for help and to highlight the real issues underlying the suffering that is part of the human condition.
In this powerful interview Josh shares his personal story and how the power of human connection can help us all overcome the guilt and shame that underpin our experiences of trauma.
Josh is a truly exceptional human being and we’re incredibly grateful to share this episode today. Enjoy.
Show Notes: Josh Mantz & The Beauty Of A Darker Soul
- We have a natural tendency to compare ourselves to others. Trauma does not discriminate.
- Josh tells the story of when he got shot (was medically flat lined for full 15 minutes!) and the survivor’s guilt that came from it.
- The real trauma is not getting hurt; it is the threat of getting hurt.
- How understanding the truth behind the trauma is even more important, than going through the experience itself.
- There is a stigma around the word stigma. Why Josh wrote the book to take a reader on a journey to connect to it in their own way.
- Emotional bandwidth and the capacity to expand your own. What is the place all this is coming from? He tells the story of his new career path and the speaking tour he did.
- Our greatest power is in our vulnerability.
- The kettlebell of life analogy. If we operate from inside ourselves first, if we can learn how to re-visit the present moment and drive power first from that place everything we do in life becomes more powerful!
- The separation of mind and body. Josh describes how he had to accept the death of his old self, to fully live in the present moment.
- Adaption of a daily practice and its importance to win your day.
- Top 2 Tips To Be a Better Human:
- To have the humility in our lives, that someone may know more about things than you.
- Have the courage to be vulnerable, suffer productively.
- Darker Souls Website – The Truth Behind Trauma
- The Beauty of a Darker Soul: Overcoming Trauma Through the Power of Human Connection – Joshua Mantz
Related Links/Products Mentioned
- Better Human Project is Creating tools for Self-Development and an Inspired Life
- Overcoming Moral Injuries | Joshua Mantz | TEDxSantoDomingo –
- Philosophy, Cosmology, and Consciousness
- Canticle to the Cosmos – Brian Swimme
- DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman