Today, I’m going to share a little bit of WHAT I eat and WHY. You’re about to get a sneak peak into my pantry!
Coconut Oil is one of my favorite foods. It tastes great, AND it’s good for you! It’s a “Win-Win”. I ALWAYS have a jar in the pantry, as I use it daily.
As an oil, it is a fat source – so I add it to meals where I want some healthy fats. But coconut oil is different from other oils.
You see, coconut oil is nearly solid at room temperature. This is due to the TYPE of fats in the oil – Medium Chain Triglycerides, or MCT. You may recognize these MCTs from my post on the greatest pre-workout shake ever, where I told you they can actually promote fat burning in the body.
It’s true, MCT’s are digested differently and more rapidly than larger fatty acids and they “switch” the body into burning fat for fuel. When consumed in the right amount, at the right time, this can lead to incredible results in the fat loss department!
Coconut Oil is also listed as one of the “150 Healthiest Foods On Earth” by Jonny Bowden in his best-selling book of the same title.
In the passage for coconut oil, he notes the following:
- The high smoke point (450 degrees F) makes it great for cooking as it does not oxidize like other oils with a lower smoke point.
- Lauric acid, the predominant MCT in coconut oil has been shown in countless studies to be antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antiviral.
- Many naturopathic Doctors claim the MCTs found in coconut oil can inactivate at least a dozen pathogenic viruses along with several bacterial infections.
- Folk remedies use coconut oil to treat over 35 ailments from abcesses to wounds.
Coconut Oil Uses
- My favorite use – in my morning coffee! I alternate between coconut oil and grass-fed butter in my coffee with Stevia and sometime whey protein (for pre-workout times).
- Cook with it – I always use it to cook my eggs – nonstick and great flavor. You can also use it for cooking chicken, beef, or bison on the stove top.
- Melt it over steaming hot veggies like broccoli, asparagus, or brussel sprouts.
- It works very well in “healthy” cookie, cake, bread, or other sweet treat recipes.
Bowden, J. “The 150 Healthiest Foods On Earth”. 300.
Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. But the truth is, I’ve been ordering my oils form them long before I was aware of this program – or before I had enough readers to qualify for it. This is what I use, and this is a company I trust. If you order by clicking on any of my links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.