Scott Dolly brings an important conversation to the Better Human Project this week about filtering information, chasing greatness, and maintaining both physical and mental wellbeing.
In short, our pursuits don’t have to define – or destroy – us. We can find ways to work toward greatness in a manner that is sustainable.
If you don’t know Scott Dolly, you should. He’s a world class body worker, healer, the CEO & founder of Evolution Human Performance and Rehabilitation – a sports performance and outpatient rehab clinic in Winchester, VA – and an all around epic human.
In this episode we dive into specifics about our physiology, posture, health, and movement practices along with philosophical questions around mindset, grit, mental health, and sustainable practices.
- Fudo Myoo: the banisher of negative energies
- Don’t fall for the “new thing.” New means ALSO, not instead of. Educate yourself and make informed decisions.
- Constantly adding tools creates a paradox – learning how and when to use the right tool for the job
- Knowing how to push your physical limits is great. Knowing when NOT to push those limits is strength.
- Listen to your body and know when to back off. Do your joints hurt or muscles hurt. Muscles can withstand being sore. Even really sore. Joints can not.
- Performance doesn’t equal health.
- Mobility and flexibility is just as, if not more, important than brute strength
- Warm up your body. Think of your positioner muscles to put your joints into place before you start using your mover muscles.
- Crossfit is a sport. Not a training modality.
- If you can’t walk after every leg day, you’re doing it wrong. Think of your 60 year old self.
- Be aware of your body. If you experience pain during an exercise, seek professional help on correcting your form and mobility.
- What is the Fuzz Speech?
- Our world is becoming so comfortable we’re de-training our bodies for movement and activity.
- Make healthy footwear decisions. Lems, Vevo Barefoot, Topos and Ultras are brands that Scott recommends
- Be Better & Do Better
- Cultivate more personal awareness.
- Be aware of how you impact the world around you
- Realize when things are greater than you
Related Links & Resources
- Scott Dolly Instagram
- Evolution Human Performance & Rehab Website | Instagram
- Fudo Myoo
- The Fuzz Speech
- Scott on Ben Greenfield Podcast
- Scott with Ryan on Optimal Performance Podcast
- Lem’s Shoes
- Lem’s founder Andrew Rademacher on the BHP